Saturday, November 16, 2013

soundboard decorations

My spraypainted-paper technique is going to work, but I think I will go with metallic gold instead of the "hammertone copper": the latter just looks too brown, I think it won't have enough contrast with the soundboard wood (which turns much darker and redder when finished -- which is going to look nice!).




And here are my bridge blocks, drying: still in a long strip, not diced-up.  I've covered the top surfaces with several coats of polyurethane.  Next, I will hammer in the nails, then cut up and sand the individual blocks, and glue them to the soundboard.  Having the tops pre-finished will allow me to tape them up to keep the finish away from the nails, as I spray-coat the soundboard itself.  Originally I was going to hammer in the nails after all the finishing, but my concerns over splitting have changed this sequence.  Chances of splitting should be reduced by doing all the hammering while the blocks are still in a contiguous strip; and if splitting does still turn out to be a problem, I'll be able to change course without having already glued the blocks down.


No comments:

Post a Comment