Tuesday, May 20, 2014

starting on the keyboard frame

I've started constructing the frame for the keyboard and action.  It's mainly composed of poplar 1x2s.  Everything will be spray-coated with clearcoat, as I'm putting it together.

I added attachment blocks to the instrument, to allow precise positioning: I don't necessarily trust my 2x4 frame to be perfectly straight and square!  Also, the blocks enable (I hope) three transposition positions, for 440Hz, 415Hz, and 392Hz.  This is simply a matter of attaching the action in three different positions with a set of correctly-spaced holes.  But there has to be clearance.  415 will definitely fit, 392 I'm still not sure about...

Whole bunch of hole-drilling, and quite a bit of jigsaw-carving, to make the parts for this.  Much more yet to be done, e.g., the keys themselves!

Here I have it assembled.  Nothing is glued yet, I'll drill some more holes, and finish and paint several parts, before finally gluing it up.

Here you can see my adjustment mechanism for the upper and lower touch rails: a critical aspect of this action design.  This scheme is one of my "inventions", which I have assumed to be viable for years in my notebooks and on-paper designs, but only now am I finally trying it out in real life.  Seems to work as I wanted, thankfully.

Yet to be fabricated, are the two rails which go on the bottom, and which I call the pulley rails -- even though the "pulleys" are just shiny metal surfaces with, hopefully, low friction.  These rails guide the monofilament control cords which move the dampers when the keys are pressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment