Thursday, October 17, 2013

need more clamps...

So I have decided to attach the outer case sides just with glue, no screws.  Therefore, I need some decent clamps, with long enough "reach" to hold the 5+3/4" wide case lumber flat against the 2x4.  The 3" C-clamps I have won't even reach, even if I could make them work wideness-wise.  So I decided to make myself some carpentry-type clamps, using 1x3s and threaded rod.  Things were proceeding well until I bought washers that wouldn't fit, destroyed a wood-boring drill trying to drill them out, and... it's a long story.  But anyway, maybe by tonight I'll be ready to start cutting and attaching the side pieces, one at a time (not enough clamps to do the whole deal at once, for one thing).

I'll have pics in a few days.  Until then, for those who are interested, I encountered this
video, showing a somewhat non-traditional builder (Tom Pixton, Boston) who is nonetheless doing
it very much more in the "official" way than I am.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BmKXl1treY
(He seems to have had some interesting ideas on improvements to the traditional harpsichord,
in this "post revival" era when such things are generally frowned upon.  Hence, certainly of interest to me.
He even specifically mentions leaving screws visible!
But unfortunately, it seems he gave up on building harpsichords some time after making the
video, building a total of 18 in his career.)


No comments:

Post a Comment